Tuesday, March 24, 2009

This DJ went to Hobby Park.

Finally it was the first mountain race of the season. After two long days of helping with the Banff Mountain Film Festival, (thanks to all who came out by the way) we drove over to Salem-Winston to go race some fat tire bikes.

We didn’t have to get up too early in the morning, at 6:30 and we left around 7ish. The drive was nice and we just made it to the race to watch the first racers hitting the course. KB killed it in his first sport race and ended up with a good 4th place. Mrs. Squirrel started another new job in addition to her teaching outdoors to kids; she taught the rest of the field how to race and ended up with a first place.

Everybody else raced the 12 o’clock race. It was a huge field, probably like 25 guys or so and about 10 Pros. So you could say that it was fairly stacked. Pretty much everybody except the flat state boys were racing this relatively “small” race. To make a short story shorter, I followed wheels for the first lap before crashing at the start of the second. Pendry caught me after I got up and I followed him for the rest of the lap before he had some trouble with his wheel and stopped. I kept on seeing whee Seth Kemp on my tail for the rest of the lap so I kept the pressure on and tried to bridge to the leaders Robert Marion and Travis Liverman. It was a short race of about 18 miles so I basically ran out of ground but when I started chasing I figured I wasn’t going to catch them anyway.

The King got like 7th, P-man got 13th or something and the Saint was just behind him. Steve and Timmay and Wells all had decent races but nothing great. In the end it was a good way to start the season and figure out stuff I need to work on.
So I put up some pictures, they are on the blog below this one so like check ‘em out. If you feel like it. I might add some more too, but I didn’t really get any riding pictures because I’m still trying to figure out a way to race and take pictures of myself while I race. Kind of difficult if you know what I mean.

Anyway, keep it pinned, listen to this guy called Warren G and don’t fall in the Rosie, that’s bad.

No comments: