Friday, May 15, 2009

Free Music Fridays

Today is a great day. Not really sure if it is yet but I’ll find out. I figured I needed a little bit of Ice Cube to get me going. Today is Friday. It is also laundry day too. I really, really need to do some. “I’ve been wearing the same dirty underpants for three days now”. Ha-ha, just kidding.

Since the weather over here is still deciding whether it wants to rain or not, I’m still trying to decide whether I want to ride or not. We are passing the time by “sharing” our music with one another. I have some pictures I could up load but it takes forever. I might start it now and hopefully when I come back from my ride they will be up. Perhaps.

Well, uh….what have I been doing? We rode to the top of some mountain the other day. About an hour or so climb and a 20ish minute decent. It was pretty cool at the top because we got back into the snow line. The decent was pretty fun, but it was really steep so you really had to stay on the ball and chill on the straight bits to make the hairpins.

I found out a little bit about the race on Sunday. It’s in Northern Germany. You can get on the website here. The English is terrific. At this race there is an actual class for the Under 23 riders. Pretty cool because we don’t have to race the super, super world cup guys that would lap us. Come to think of it, the fastest U23s are probably just as fast as the Elites so I’m probably still going to get lapped. Hooray!

The kicker is that there are 104 U23 registered. One hundred four!!! That’s freaking nuts! The biggest race I’ve done in the states had like 100 guys of all ages in there. This race has over a hundred in ONE class. Not cool guys. There are more Under 23 riders than in the elite (pro) class. Easy race? NOT!

It’s hard to explain how hard these Euro races are. In the states, the courses are usually long (8-10miles per-lap) and hard. In Europe the courses are short and relatively easy (1-3miles per-lap). Although the total distance is about the same (it depends on terrain but it will be around a 2 hour race) the Euro races have twice as many laps. You’d think that the “easier” courses would be “easier” but that’s usually not the case since you can go so much faster and carry more speed.

Anyway, we’re meeting a German team at 9 tomorrow and driving three hours up to the race and going for pre-rides and chilling at the hotel tomorrow. I think we race at like 9 something tomorrow which is like 3 in American time. I don’t think I’m going to bring my computer so I’ll write a report on Monday when we get back.

Don’t float away America, someday I’m coming back.

No comments: