Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cows, Syurp, and Green Mountains Part 2

I was about to write a blog this morning but I opted for watching the videos from the Bromont World Cup race. Nothing great, just some DH stuff, you know down my alley not usually for the general public.

Blah, blah, blah. On to the race. It went pretty well, considering that I got called up second to last out of an 120 rider field. I left our house/barn thing about 2.5 hours before the start and by the time I made it over to the course I just had some light sprinkles of rain but by the time our 2:30 rolled around it was a full on pouring, pinned rain storm. Awesome.

Raining actually made the course better since it washed off all the mud from the previous races and cleaned everything up. I had my Storms on so I could pretty much ride everything out there without too much trouble but some parts were still probably faster to run. Had a bit of a rough start trying to get moved up in the pack and probably only pulled back 10 spots or so. I was suffering pretty bad on the climb but my skillz were tons better than the Euros so I could pull back stuff in the woods.

To make a long story short, I lasted four laps before getting pulled with two to go. Somehow or somewhere I passed most of the Americans in our group (Travis still swears that he was in the middle of trail and I rode right over him) and finished up 71st. Ethan was the only one from our group that made it one more lap. It was pretty cool to see that we were all right there together and it just depends on what day someone is feeling good. I was pretty glad that I got pulled since I'm pretty sure my bike was about to quit working as well.

Monday was a late start and a three hour drive down to Ludlow, Vermont punctuated by gas stops, me getting lost once or twice (the only time I've gotten lost the whole trip!), me hitting on a cute gas station attendant, and some wicked good ice cream. I am staying in Ludlow for one more night before Travis and I are driving over to West Dover and getting a condo for the rest of the week.

It's been a really fun trip so far but I'm a bit bummed that I've been on the road all alone. Although I have friends at all these races it's not the same as my 828 buddies. I can't wait for the collegiate season where I'll be ready to pin it again.

I'm working on my picture taking skillz too. Hopefully these are a little better. I think they look cool.


No comments: