Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hammer Time

Well, the last couple of posts were not quite myself as you may have noticed. Times were getting a little rough but everything is fixed when times are going good.

I've been talking a boat load of smack. And it was easy to do because I wasn't racing. So when I finally got a chance to back it up I was pretty nervous. The short track didn't go the best, I know who my opponents are and kept a tight leash on them. Zach got away a little from me but I tried to keep the cards close to the chest. As not previously announced, and as a surprise I'm going for the omnium at the collegiate national champs. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's your overall placing in all four events at nats. Cross country, short track, dual slalom and downhill.

What I'm getting at is that I raced DS at LMC. It didn't go too bad, I quailed 6th out of a ton of people but since the slalom got moved to Sunday morning because it got too dark I pulled the plug. I still ended up 9th??? Not too shabby for my first ever race. I kept on looking for a climb in the middle of course because I left my granny gear on but I guess they didn't put one in.

I quit the slalom to rest up for the XC. T-Walker told me since I was quitting the DS I had to win the XC. I was pretty bummed over how I was feeling in the short track but that race is for the little boys. The cross country is the one where the men come from. Got a good start and filtered into the single track second wheel. Made a few mistakes before breaking my chain on the second steep climb. Pretty bummed on that because it took me forever to fix it. Everyone in the A and a few guys in the B field passed me. That sucked. I figured it would be a good idea to fix everything up and stay in for some good training. I started chasing. I kept on getting time checks to the leaders at three minutes. Really long way away. To my disbelief I caught Zach in second place with one lap to go. I pulled out 30 or 40 seconds on the last decent and tried to hold him off on the last climb. But about 100 feet from the finish I saw Brad from LMC running with a flat.

Now pause for a second. I have nothing against Brad or anyone on the Lee's McRae team but for the past two years I have been worked over by most of their riders since they have like 100 guys and we have like 4. And all my guys are fast. So I going to tell you that it felt so good to give a little back to those guys. I just put my head down and held it to the line. Winning racing and crushing souls is what I do for a living, not bad for a Sunday afternoon.

I'm tired of all this team tactics and bs racing. This weekend is a dual conference race between the South East and Mid Atlantic. Let the strongest man win the race. I'm not fooling around anymore. Let's find out who the men are.

Quick shout out to all my bros on the team. All of you guys and girls made me proud. We are the only team that will whip your butt and be your best friends doing it. I added a sweet movie about the World Cup finals in Austria. You can do what ever you want, but I'm putting my money on Sammy and Brendog. They are looking pretty fast. That drift that Sam made over the knuckle made H1N1 sick.

Good night America. Enjoy yourselves.

P. S.
No you can't touch me...

1 comment:

The Hoo said...

i like peat's part...WORLD CHAMP...OLD SCHOOL...NEW SCHOOL.
biased journalism.