Wednesday, May 31, 2006

SERC Fontana Pre Ride and Short Track

Whew, its been a long time since my last one. Anyway, this last week end was SERC #6 at Fontana, NC. Brute of a course, the whole time you are either going up hill or down, hardly any flat. It's really technical too.
Dad and I drove up Saturday afternoon. We got there and found that the campsite that we were going to stay at was full. We would have to find another place, I really wanted to go ride so we drove over to the loge and started unpacking the bikes. As I took off to do a practice lap I made sure that I had all of my tools, so many times this I have gone off to ride and gotten stuck on the trail.
During the pre ride, I wasn't feeling very good and it seemed like I was totally anaerobic the whole time I was out there. One section on the course was a difficult climb with several switch backs. As I rode up during the pre ride, I slipped and fell off, there was this kid watching me so I couldn't just walk it up the hill. So, I rode all the way to the bottom and rode it again.
Saturday night, was the short track race. I had never done one before so I was in for a treat. I rode and course several times to get use to the corners and the one short climb. The course was around the ball fields (if you have ever been there) started at the bottom and went around the feild to a climb to the top and back down again. The corners were super sweet, grassy but they griped well so, you could lean right into them. We were the last to go and I forgot that the corners were a little chewed up from the perivous races. So, after I grabbed hole shot, I plowed straight into the ground on corner number two.
After I picked my self up I was able to make it back up to the front of the race where I found that the leader (Ryan Woodall) was about to lap the hole group.
I'll finish it later, I've got to go ride.

OK, I'm back, Ryan Woodall was about to lap the group and I was like forget wining. So I backed off a lot trying to save my legs for Sunday. Dustin Greer came up behind me and I pretty much sat back and I was like I'm going my speed, you just hang out as long as you want. I didn't have a watch so I had no idea how much longer we had to go. So one time up the hill the people screamed out "Last lap, last lap!!" Coming around to the hill the next time Greer put in a big attack and I countered because I thought it was the end. That time up the hill the spectators yelled "Two to go, two to go!!!" I was like crap, I'm totally fried from sprinting with Greer, luckily he was gassed too so I was able to hold on for third.
In the end, I had a ton of fun and I will totally do some more STXCs.

No comments: