Thursday, May 4, 2006

Athens Twilight

Athens Twilight
Oh yeah, the crit. Alright, so I get on the computer before I leave to go to the race and check that the Fat Tire (which I changed my mind about) started at 6:30. Cool. My sister had a race in the morning so I helped out as a course marshal (which I didn't really mean to do-they were really short on people Saturday morning).
5:30 rolls around and I get dressed and start to warm up. Ironically, I get a really good warm up when I don't need it.
I ride up to the course and find several groups of mtb'ers racing around. I was really confused so I tried to find out if they split the field up into Expert/Sport. They had not. Finally I found a ref who told me that there were two different schedules, one with 6 and one with 6:30. So, to compromise, they started at 6:15, 15min before I showed up. The ref said to talk to Gene Dixon if I wanted a refund.

After looking all over the twilight, for Dixon I finally found him right in front of me between corners 3and 4. I asked if he could talk to me really quick. He looked at me and kept on walking past. About 5 feet later he said that I could talk to him while he walked. He was in no hurry, he was just wondering around the twilight. I explained my situation and asked if he knew anything about it. He said yes, and asked me why I didn't get there 30min a head of time. Now who would get to the start of the race 30min before, and have to sit there, cooling down after the warm up.

I then asked him if I could get a refund. He said "oh, you can email me next week."

So, my week end was not very fun, I had a bad race, missed a race, got really pissed off, and got absolutely no sleep.
Good things were: getting 2nd, watching the pro race, seeing Mike at the twilight, and going home to sleep.
I am never going another Gene Dixon thing a again. Like he's going to return my money "sometime next week". whatever, I'm not even going to get it back

No comments: