Sunday, October 11, 2009

Roundabout




So, I happened to look up just where at the race I'm going to in a few days is located. Turns out it's at the Northstar Ski resort in Truckee California. It's oh, like 30 minutes from Reno or something and about an hour from Sacramento. It's also about three hours from San Fransisco. San Fran is where I raced in my first ever "national". It was actually about an hour from downtown in Sonoma. It was a crappy course, wicked hot, and my race fell apart. I finished like 11th. Good result, but not what I wanted. Now three hours away and a lot more experienced I hope to pull it off.

Those first few years when I started getting really serious into mountain bike racing were the best because I kept on discovering new things. Although I will never say that I know everything, I do know that I have learned a library full of facts, techniques, and tricks about racing.

When I started out racing I never thought that I would make it to where I am today. Not saying that I'm a superstar or anything but I've had a successful career so far. I was just thinking about all the people that have helped me along the way. Last year was awesome after I pulled off two national championships. I've had a ton of close calls and I was able to pull it off last fall.

Now here is the bigger question, can I repeat? We'll see, I've been taking the past couple of days easy but you can never know what will happen. It will be a hard race since everyone will be looking at me. It's one thing to win a race straight up but a completely different thing when it's all on your shoulders. I super stoked about traveling to Cali but at the same time I've had a long season and I will be happy to be back and finished. I was telling a guy at lunch the other day. It really doesn't matter what happens in the race, I just love racing my bike. That's true until the race starts. I'm a racer so I want to win everything. But once it's all done I can sit back and be satisfied. This is sounding sooo corny, but if I win another national title I'm doing it for you guys. It's my way of saying thanks.

Hopefully my throttle will get stuck...
T

P. S.
Put this one down on the X-mas list.

No comments: