Wednesday, March 15, 2006

SERC Reddick

Sweet, the first race of the year, I was pretty pumped up about it because I I've been really sick of training.
First off I ran the Expert Senior Class which is 19 to 29 year olds. We drove down on Saturday and I was able to ride two laps of the course. The roughly 10 mile loop was fairly flat with a ton of short but with very steep ups and downs. Really dry, although not much sand.

Race day was pretty hot with temps in the 90s. I got in a good warm up and arrived to the line on time. At the start I missed my pedal and got shot out the back of the pack but finally I was able to clip in the got up to about 6 or 7 place going into the woods. From there i tried to hang on to the back but I kept on slipping out of my pedals or dropping the chain off the chain rings. The first two laps were pretty bad as I kept on dropping back and losing time.

On the third lap I passed Dad and he shouted that I might be in 4th place. Then I was like, I better go a little faster to maintain my spot. Everything went great until I dropped my chain aga! in on one of the last climbs and got passed by two guys. I jumped on to the back of them and tried to figure out if they were in my class, I new one wasn't but was not sure about the other one. The course had very little passing places and there was no way I could get around by the finish. So, in the end I ended up 5th and the guy who passed me got 4th.

I'm a bit bummed by the result but, my legs felt great and it was my first Senior race.
So this week end is the State Single Speed Champs that I might do if I get a bike, if not then my next race will probably be in April.
Tristan

No comments: